The International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) is a globally recognised qualification, developed by University of Cambridge International Examinations. The IGCSE curriculum extends over two years and is similar to the Class 10 examinations of the CBSE and ICSE or the middle years Programme of the IB.
IGCSE provides a broad and flexible study program and covers subjects from a variety of areas: Languages, Humanities, Social Sciences, Mathematics, Creative, Technical and Vocational. One receives an "IGCSE" qualification for each subject one takes.
IGCSE Subject Groups
There are five Subject Groups under the IGCSE curriculum
- Group 1: Languages (First Language, Second Language, Foreign Language, etc)
- Group 2: Humanities and Social Sciences (Geography, English Literature, History, etc)
- Group 3: Sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc)
- Group 4: Mathematics (Mathematics, Additional Mathematics, etc)
- Group 5: Creative, Technical & Vocational (Accounting, Business Studies, Computer Studies, Music, etc)
Students are required to take a minimum of 5 or maximum of 14 subjects. Common trend observed in students w.r.t. the selection of subjects is as follows:
- Two subjects from the language group
- One from each of the other four groups
- One more from any of the five groups
The IGCSE assessments are graded on an eight-point grading scale- from A+ to G, with A+ being the highest.
IGCSE Test Timelines
The IGCSE exams are conducted annually in the months of May and November.
At Tutela, we cater to several students following the IGCSE curriculum.
The course details of IGCSE coaching at Tutela is as follows:
COURSE DURATION FOR IGCSE: 1 YEAR
- Frequency: 1 class per subject per week; Class Duration: 2 hours each; Batch Size; Up to 6 students
- Diagnostic Test to evaluate aptitude and test-taking skills
- Comprehensive set of study materials
- Coverage of topics and contemporary methods to increase speed and accuracy
- Intensive workshops before the actual test
- Mock Tests followed by one-on-one exhaustive review and evaluation
- Extended assistance after course-completion
IGCSE is not as reliable as the other curriculums like CBSE, IB, ICSE etc
IGCSE is one of the most sought-after and recognised qualifications in the world. It is recognised by the Association of Indian Universities (AIU) as being at par with CBSE, ICSE, etc. and is followed in prominent Indian schools like The Dhirubhai Ambani World School, DPS International and Pathways World School- to name a few. It is a reliable and a balanced curriculum which has gained its prominence in many schools in India.
A student studying under a curriculum other than IGCSE before grade 9 cannot switch to IGCSE
IGCSE is a two-year programme starting at the Class 9 level. A student who has done his/ her early schooling from any other board can join the IGCSE programme at the Class 9 level.
CBSE, ICSE vs. IGCSE
- Though more expensive than the CBSE/ ICSE curriculum, the IGCSE curriculum inculcates a global outlook in a student and is becoming one of the most preferred curriculums in India.
- A student gets a larger choice of subjects to choose from-unlike the CBSE/ICSE curriculum which offers lesser number of subjects.
- The IGCSE curriculum offers assessments in the form of both written and oral exams. Moreover, it follows a more application-based curriculum-which is the need of the hour.
- The IGCSE curriculum is ideal for students whose parents tend to relocate globally or students who plan to pursue under graduation studies abroad.